Re: Is a Triumph the answer?

To: WJAD81D@prodigy.com
Subject: Re: Is a Triumph the answer?
From: Rootes2@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 19:52:27 -0500
Hey, John.....
       If highway driving is the only problem with the Magnette, there are
ways to improve it's  cruising ability.....I'm sure an OD trans could be
installed, and the axle ratio changed to something that suits OUR highways
better. My daily driver, a 1966 Sunbeam Alpine, was converted to OD 10 years
ago, and I wish I'd done it sooner! The only mistake I made the first time
was changing the axle ratio to what the factory  OD came with....they used a
higher numerical ratio with the OD trans to give better acceleration....over
here, we need more top end.
        I have to do the same thing eventually....I'm restoring a 58 ZB
Magnette, and I know the car will be struggling at highway speeds. Early
MGB's used a similar axle with 14 inch wheels...the gears should interchange
for a lower numerical ratio. I haven't yet figured out which OD trans will
fit....but I've got lots of time, 'cause I've got LOTS of work to do.
         The Magnette is a cool car, and your other MG's are great,
too.....no need to change loyalty or buy elsewhere when your present cars can
be made better.
          Just my 2 shillings worth.....

           Jon Arzt                   Rootes2@aol.com
58 Magnette