Re: MGA Performance- Part one

To: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: MGA Performance- Part one
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 21:43:10 -0800 (PST)
At 08:11 AM 11/5/96 -0600, you wrote:
>I tried sending this post Monday morning but it was too big.  I have broken
>it in half and will attempt again.
>
>Thanks for the request for my opinion.  I am not that familiar with MGA
>engine modification but I am fairly familiar with the B series motor having
>spent a good deal of time inside my MGB earlier in my automotive life.

Another excellent piece - articulate, understandable and not too long (for a
complex subject). I am getting ready to install a Marshall J75 blower in my
TC (enroute from UK). Keeping with your philosophy of not going overboard on
hp for a street machine (actually a CA freeway machine) what thoughts do you
have on modifying the engine. The XPAG engine is normally 1250 cc, 54 hp at
5200 rpm. Oversize pistons are available up to .120 over, the head will take
a .010 milling, and Crane makes a 3/4 race cam. Heavy duty valve springs are
available as well as stellite valve seats and appropriate valve guides for
unleaded gas.

Comments appreciated.

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA