Re: TC's - how many?

To: British-Cars-Pre-War@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TC's - how many?
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 01:43:21 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, David Laver wrote:

> > The question really belongs on the Prewarrior list where most of the TC
> > reside.  It never ceases to amaze me how many of the 3003 TA's survive or
> > else the few that did are forever being put on sale!
>
> Are they the sort of car where you get a 300% survival rate ?  I'm sure
> there are more Frazer Nashes now than ever previously.  There are
> certainly more ERAs and Maser 250s.  Austin 7 Ulsters, sporting
> Bentleys, convertable Morris Minors, the list goes on....

Those are relatively rare low-production cars that were derived from other
more plentiful production models and can therefore be reproduced fairly
accurately by starting with the base model, a lot of money, and a
disregard for originality.

That isn't true of the T-Type MGs. By the time of the T-Types, it had been
many years since MGs were modified versions of production line Morris
cars.  There isn't any other car you can "convert"  into a T-Type, so the
only way to build one that didn't actually roll off the Abingdon
production line is to start from scratch.  You can buy a whole parking lot
full of real ones for the money it would take to do that.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us