No MG content.." A funny thing happened...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: No MG content.." A funny thing happened...
From: Andrew Murdock <Andrew.Murdock@cdc.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 13:52:41 +0000
...on the way to Pompeii"

In addition to MG's my other obsession is Triathlon's, to that aim I
probably do as much mileage on my bicycle as I do in the car, and most
weekends can be seen disappearing off to some spot or other with a bike
frame lashed to the bootrack (normal bike racks really didn't work to well),
and the wheels stashed behind the seats.

Some of you also seem to know that Jaguar have a new Coupe out over here
called the XK8,and a very highly desirable piece of drool fodder it is too.

Well, I was out for my Sunday ride, nice cool weather, autumn sun, etc. when
I came upon a series of hills that climb, level out, then climb, also
noticed this time that the road is called Seven Hills Road, uh huh, explains
everything...

Anyhow, just coming to the peak of the road and I came up upon one of the
said new car stationary at a junction, and was so busy gazing with lust upon
its animalistic curves as I drew alongside that I forgot I was still clipped
into my nice shiny new clipless pedals.(*1) .I think you can guess what
happens next....

Tried to slide my foot backwards, of course nothing as I keel over towards
the car, just managed to put my hand out, and push away wereupon I promptly
fell straight over onto the grass verge which of course to add insult to
injury is wet and on the edge of a ditch, which naturally I slid into.

Thankfully no damage to the Jag, driver too amused at my final predicament
and resting place to be angry (good job too, he was a bit of a big chap -
definite steroid abuse category) and no damage to me except pride.

*1 - Clipless pedals have replaced the old pedal with a cage on the front,
as they comprise a plate bolted to the bottom of the shoe, which locks into
the pedal itself, this allows you to pull up at the back of the stroke
evening out the effort over the whole stroke instead of just the downward.
To get out of them all you have to do is twist your foot sideways, easy and
simple, UNLESS you have spent the last ten years with toe straps and reflex
jerks your foot backwards...!!!

Andrew

ps. Those nice shiny pedals ?  Yep, still on there, I refuse to be beaten by
a piece of bloody metal :-)

69 MGB Roadster - sorta daily
Assorted scruffy winter training bikes - other days

andrew.murdock@cdl.cdc.com
Control Data Limited
Tel : 0181 867 6027
Fax : 0181 569 2511

 "If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid,
triathlons must have taken Him completely by surprise." P.Z.  Pearce, M.D.

__^o_
         __o
       _ \<_
      (_)/(_)