TC compression, CEI

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TC compression, CEI
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:47:17 -0600
Concerning supercharged compression,  if my previous post was confusing, I
apologize.  By all means DO NOT increase compression on a TC you are
planning to supercharge.  When I suggested milling the head and block
surface, I meant to do this only as necessary to clean up the mating
surface.  I am not that familiar with the XPAG but I do know that B series
engines have a weakness hear and good sealing is crucial to longevity.
When I mention CR ratios of 8.0:1 or lower, I was not suggesting that you
raise a TC's compression up to that level.  What I was saying was that if
you start with a compression ration above 8:1, I would question the wisdom
of adding a supercharger, especially in a vintage design.

When the CEI quit on my Spitfire, I looked at the distributor.  If I
recall, all the electonics were contained in a box on the side of the
distributor and that box was potted plum full with green slime epoxy.  I
took the weenie way out and installed an Allison ignition form Vicky Brit.

Regards
Bill Eastman
61 MGA