Re: Why standard?

To: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why standard?
From: gramf@digisys.net (Paul/Ian Graham)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 18:43:43 -0700
At 1:23 PM 11/8/96, Ross MacPherson wrote:
>At 04:03 AM 11/8/96 UT, you wrote:
>>Here's a newbie question... If MGs are british cars, why are all the nuts
>>bolts etc on these cars standard instead of metric?  Were they just being
>>conciderate to us Americans?
>
>Hi Wade and welcome to the fold!
>
>Prior to 1946 British industry used the Whitworth standard of threads and
>wrench sizes. This system is based on the Imperial measurement system but
>differs from the North American Imperial standard such that the two are
>completely different.  While the Whitworth thread is arguably better than
>the SAE pattern Britains industry was in such a state after the war that
>they needed massive aid to retool for peacetime production.  Naturally most
>of this aid came from North America with its different standard.  Some time
>shortly after the end of the war British, American and Canadian Poohbah's
>met and decided to adopt a new standard called Unified Standard thus we have
>UNF and UNC on both sides of the pond and Whitworth became an orphan.  (Ask
>a T series owner for details...)
>
>As far as metrification goes I have no idea when (or if) British industry
>ever made the jump.  If they're anything like our fearless leaders in Canada
>they'll have a century long transition period.  (ask a Canadian who works in
>industry for details, then duck)
>
>Inches come from Britain ( Rolls Royce, MG, Jaguar, etc.) and meters come
>from France (Citroen, le CAR, etc). Any Questions?

Ross, So what exactly are you saying?  Can I go down to my local NAPA and
pick up some fine or coarse thread SAE bolts for use on the GT or do I have
to continue to strip old B's for bolts or pay extortion to suppliers.  I
have also been unable to locate a set of Whitworth tap&dies.  Are they even
necessary?  Another question for the Canadian autoworker-when did Canada
invent rock and roll?

Paul Graham
'67 BGT