Re: Faulty Towers/Cleases Re

To: "Stuart Hazelwood" <stuart.hazlewood@ny.ddbn.com>
Subject: Re: Faulty Towers/Cleases Re
From: Owen Michaels-Hardy <omhardy@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 12:06:20 +1100 (EST)
At 12:37 PM 8/11/96 U, you wrote:
>                      RE>Faulty Towers/Cleases Red mini?           11/8/96
>
>Bazil's car is a Morris 1100, which were very common in the UK in the early
>'70's.

I may stand to be corrected on this as it is a while since I have seen the
fabulous Faulty Towers, but, I feel confident that Basil's car was the
Austin badge-engineered 1100. As most of us will recall the nationalised
British Motor Corporation (BMC) [which later became British Leyland] was in
the habit of developing one car then badging it with various makers names to
attract a market loyal to that maker. The 1100 was badged variously as:
        Austin (known as the Princess 1100, Austin America in US, Austin
Tasman in Aus)
        Morris
        MG
        Wolseley
        Riley
        Vanden Plas

To give this some MG content: the MG 1100 was not produced at Abingdon but
at the BMC Morris factory at Cowley. It was produced in both 1100cc and
1300cc form and became the most popular MG saloon model. 175,000 were made
between 1962 and 1971.

Owen Michaels-Hardy, Sydney Australia
1980 TR7 FHC Sprint

<remainder of posting below>