Re: Autocross...Yea!

To: TheSkinny@aol.com
Subject: Re: Autocross...Yea!
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:00:38 -0800
TheSkinny@aol.com wrote:

> Just spent the day out at Thunderhill raceway.  Barney, I can see how this
> gets addicting.  Convinced the wife to go out with the Honda, and I took the
> Midget...guess who came home with the trophy (her).  Ok, just cause she was
> the only one in her class, but she still did a very good job.  Luckily to
> save face, my best time was better than her best time, but only by roughly 2
> sec.  Midget handled excellently, although I pushed too hard on my third try
> and launched the Midget off the track and got a little air in the process.  I
> gather most people decide whether their car will be a driver, a show car, or
> a competition car, cause I just messed up the custom paint job.  Seems to
> drive ok, but the tow brackets bottomed out, and bent the bumper mounting
> brackets.  Bumper is kinda cockeyed now.  Good thing my friend at the body
> shop has a frame rack.  Ended up third best time in vintage class out of
> eight cars & just a tick faster than Jim Boyd in his BGT.  Fastest time in
> our class went to another Chico British Club member Ron Joplin in his Midget.
>  The course was a very fast one, I'll bet the involvement of the Corvette
> group from Sacramento had alot to do with that.  If I can keep the wife
> involved, maybe I can justify setting up a car just for autocrossing.  (I'll
> keep dreaming)
>
> David Riker
> 69 Midget (Temporarily no longer show quality)

David:

Since I didn't stick around for the awards, congrats to you and Ron!
Did the guy in the 2002 come in 2nd?  Did I actually improve in the
second round, since I was #5 out of 7 in the AM runs?

Tell Candy that she did a great jog today!  I hope that someone got a
picture of you getting air in the Midget!  I may lose my "Spin Jim"
nickname, since I failed to spin out today!  Oh well!

I'm exhausted but smilin!

See ya,
Jim