Re: To Rootes (warning about British Motorsports)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To Rootes (warning about British Motorsports)
From: Joe Peck <peck@digex.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 22:26:43 -0500 (EST)
Roland,

Saw your notes about the Magnette at British Motorsports in Campbell,
CA.  Thought I'd share an experience I had in purchasing an MGB from
them a few years back.  I ran the engine before buying the car and
checked the exhaust for signs of it burning oil.  Looked clean.  Bought
the car.  After driving it for a couple of weeks the car developed a
huge case of oil burning.  Big clouds of smoke behind me.  Turned out
the rings were shot.  I've heard of sellers putting additive in the oil
to gum it up so that the car appears to not have an oil burning problem.
I'm convinced that what happened in my case.  Pretty damned unethical
if you ask me.  And I'd been a fairly loyal customer of the shop too.
So I'd say be careful in buying from this shop.

(I ended up immediately garaging this MGB until I got the engine rebuilt.
Expect to complete the rebuild sometime this month :-)  That's why
I keep two of them, so I've always got at least one on the road.

Cheers,
Joe
'79 MGB
'80 MGB
(someday I'll have an A, oh and maybe an XKE Jag too!)