RE: Camshaft vs valve lift.

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: RE: Camshaft vs valve lift.
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:02:54 -0500
>>Valve lift is related to cam lobe height by the rocker arm ratio.  I don't
>>know what an MG's rocker arm ratio is.  A small block Chevy ratio is 1.5:1.
>>so .100 lift at the cam = .150 lift at the valve.  In mechanical valve
>>lifter cars such as an MG you must also subtract valve lash.  So valve lift
>>= (lobe height - valve lash) * rocker arm ratio.

Professor ... is 'valve lash' caused by the 'valve clearance' that I
adjust using
the screw on the rocker arm? IOW, can I substitute 'valve clearance' for
'valve lash' in the above equation or are there other factors involved?

If my memory serves me ... the rocker arm ratio is 1.426:1

Safety Fast ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com