Re: your mail

To: Don Daves <dondaves@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:35:58 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Don Daves wrote:

> Epoxy/Primers we were discussing from PPG specifically state not to
> sand before using the next coat - whether it's the finish coat or
> Kondar (the surfacer/filler).  At least that's how I remember the
> instructions, since it's been a couple years since my last paint job.

Permit me a correction.  The PPG epoxy primers can be recoated without
sanding if they are recoated fairly early after application; I think they
specify within 48 hours.  There is no prohibition against sanding,
however.  After they have cured for 48 hours or more, they may be sanded
before recoating--in fact they must be.  (When the epoxy primer has fully
cured, sanding it is a bit like sanding glass.)

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910