Owens Triumph Flaw!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Owens Triumph Flaw!
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:51:55 -0500
Predjudice in LBCs is part of the fun! I never, well almost, bad mouth other
Brit marques to nonbelievers. I have driven a TR6/also 4/also 250(rather
liked that one, actually)/ TR7(made my skin crawl, but it was coupe)/TR8.
Found the TR7/8 to have nice paper handling, but not so ready to transmit
information as was a B(for instance)-- price for better ride? And that
'Brady Bunch' styling, just didn't/don't get it! I enjoyed watching the
bodies of the early (real?) TRs flex and tremble -- good damn thing they had
IRS! Truthfully, never spent nearly as much time in them as in MGBs.Best
handling car I ever drove was a TVR 2500, with triumph engine, but what a
handler!
  The folks on the Jensen mail list seem a bit more sensitive, so I've never
really offered my opinion on JH, not for me even though it would fit in my
garage, which Interceptor does not do. Most people have never been around an
Interceptor long enough to appreciate its look -- usually they get a bit of
a flashing look from the side and then just the rear-end with that
'bubble-gum-machine- back window.
   All that aside, the intended gist of my post was that much of this was
relative. Back when they were both living marques, the Triumph/MG rivalry
was very intense.The corp rivalry(which extended through-out BL)had much to
do with MGs demise. I think now that the hiatus was actually a good thing.
Now we co-exist with mutual but grudging respect (not unlike rival war vets?
Shared experiences and all that). I dislike rubber-bumper Bs because I was
scarred by their introduction! Time has made them easier to respect, but
they are still unattractive to me -- and I can't do a damned thing about it.
  To each his own.

Michael(as opinionated as ever)New Bern, NC
72 Interceptor (devourer of Jags and scourge of American muscle cars)
67MGB (my heart is an octagon)