RE: Oversize Brake Pad for MGB

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: RE: Oversize Brake Pad for MGB
From: brooked@bre.co.uk
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:44:02 +0000
On Tue, 12 Nov 96 20:42:33 Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com> wrote:-

>>the brakes, go to a Princess 4-pot caliper (I found out that a
>>Princess is a model of '70 Austin, have no idea about availability)

>>and pad from a MGBGT-V8.  This must be the 8 I was thinking of that

>>the guy had told me about - not a TR8, but a MGBGT V8.  Any way
Moss
>>lists the V8 pads for about $80 a pair, so I guess I am back to
>>square one.  Any information you have would be appreciated.
>
>Clive Wheatley has *four* V8 pads for UK Sterling 15 in a recent
>price list, so someone is pulling someone else plonker.
>
>I am sure I read somewhere (Paul Kile?) that the V8 caliper and pads

>come from a Ford Transit "If it can stop a fully laden Transit ...".

I haven't seen the Practical Classics story, but I expect the
Princess that is the source of the brake calipers is an early 80's
model not a 70. They are also used in upgrading Ford Escorts!

The pad for the Princess caliper probably is the TR8 one not the
MGBGT V8, if you stay with standard MGB calipers then MGBGT V8 pads
have more material area and fit in the caliper.

The question is why are you changing the spec from standard?

Does you braking system work properly at the moment?

Regards,

Dave