Re: MGB dashboard

To: albertom@mbox.vol.it, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB dashboard
From: JKearman@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:50:21 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-14 17:03:39 EST, albertom@mbox.vol.it (Alberto
Manganini) writes:

>  Ahi Ahi, this worries me...the steering wheel seems so fragile...

The steering wheel is tougher than it looks. You need the wheel in place to
yank the column free of the universal joint. Glenn, of BMC Originals, helped
a friend and I pull two columns and install one. Glenn was under the hood
heating the universal joint, while I was throwing myself backward, pulling on
the wheel. Eventually it came out.

If you heat the universal joint, be careful as you pull the column out, so
you don't touch plastic or wiring with the hot end.

Getting the column back in requires some care to make sure the splines line
up so that the fixing bolt will slide through the notch on the end of the
column.

Allow half a day for the job and be patient.

Cheers,

Jim Kearman
72 B