Midget 1275 idling behaviour

To: mg <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget 1275 idling behaviour
From: Eric Bartels <bartels@maths.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 11:11:57 +0000 (GMT)

Hi everybody,

my 72 Midget displays a somewhat strange idling behaviour and I'd like to
consult the net before I embark to find out what the reason for that is.

She usually starts (choke fully pulled) at the second attempt. The idling
speed is around 1000-1100 according to the tachometer. After a couple of
minutes on the road I can usually push the choke somewhat in and te rpms
drop to about 900 or even lower.
But after some time on the motorway when the engine has been running on
mid temperature (and usually the first time when I come down to idling
speed again in the next village), the idle rpms are around 1400-1500
(with the choke fully pushed in).
Is there an explanantion for this behaviour ?
And should I do something about it?

all comments appreciated.

enjoy your MG...

Eric