Re: Oils and LBC's

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Oils and LBC's
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:25:52 -0500
Robert Allen wrote:

> Mark Jurras wrote:

> > > 5,000 mile oil changes seem excessive on a newer engine using Mobil 1.
> > > Given the expense of the stuff, seems like you would want to get a
> > > little more out of it.  What's your reasoning on the short duration?
> >
> > No matter how good the oil is that you are using, you are going to get
> > burned and unburnt fuel past the rings, contaminating the oil.
> >
> > - -Mark
>
> Which is the exact logic I use to change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals
> using high-quality conventional oils.
>
> YMMV
>
> Bob Allen, '69MGC/GT, Kansas City
>
> --
> *** STANDARD DISCLAIMER
> *** Please assume all lines end with smiley face emoticon :-)
> *** unless passage contains improbable anatomical action phrases
> *** in which case the raspberry emoticon can be implied ;^P***

Mark, Robert, Bill, -

Thanks for your reply.  The point of un-burnt fuel contamination is well
taken - one of the reasons that my LBC gets it's oil changed every 2500
miles or so - Castrol GTX 20W-50, thanks.  I was more interested in the
oil in newer cars.  Since Mobil recommends some ungodly long change
interval for their product, I was curious about why Bill found it
necessary to change more often.  Having recently purchased a 96 Ford
Contour, I am thinking about how to preserve it's longevity.

Regards,

Chris Delling