Re: Leaking rings

To: mgs@autox.team.net, william.eastman@medtronic.com
Subject: Re: Leaking rings
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:11:18 -0500

> Actually, Mark,  I drive Hondas and we all know that they have developed
> the internal combustion engine to a point that absolutely nothing gets by
> the rings.

My company produces engine componants. Camshafts, Roller Tappets,
Bearings. We do a lot of wear analysis. You are fooling yourself if you
believe that nothing gets by the rings. The resson

> Seriously.  The Mobil 1, in my opinion, look dirty faster than regular oil
> does.  I believe that this is because it doesn't leave all of that garbage
> behind in the engine.

All detergent oils carry the dirt to the filter. It is the detergent
not the oil base. It looks dirty mainly because of blow-by. Look at how
long transmission oil lasts because of no combustion by products.

I agree on the break-in issue.

Mark
67 BGT
Various American Iron cause I don't want to work at McDonalds for a living.