Re: Measure of enthusiasism?

To: edward <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Measure of enthusiasism?
From: stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 07:40:17 -0500
edward wrote:

> bleckstein@monmouth.com wrote:
> >
> > I'll probably regret writing this, but here goes:
> >
> > I've been in the hobby 20 years. I have nine MGs. I don't care for racing,
> > autocross and have limited feelings for car shows. I'm nuts about the cars,
>the
> > people, the history and tradition of MG and understand others' likes and
> > dislikes in the hobby. I certainly am not designated to condemn anyone for
>their
> > special interest or views.
> >
> > I have seen some crash into the hobby like a comet and enter every show and
> > event until it becomes all consuming. Two or three years later they are
>gone.
> > They did that, they have been there, there is nothing left.
> >
> > I started with a TD ,and attended local club meets for two years before I
>ever
> > heard of the NEMGTRegister. Then I attended a GOF or two. Slowly I got to
>know
> > the people, the History of MG and aquired another car or two (a BGT and a
>TC)
> >
> > Suddenly in 1986 I was swept up into the Ocean to Ocean trip and for 19
>days I
> > didn't see my wife or kids, the longest separation ever in our thiry years
>of
> > marriage.  I soon was in charge of the Circuit of Britain and almost four
>years
> > of endless work went into it. My wife did twice as much as me and she can't
> > drive stick!
> >
> > I have now gone on five extended trips, two with my wife, two with my sons.
> > have missed three. I believe I am an enthusiast with out being a fanatic.
> >
> > In the NEMGTR there is a fellow named Izzy Ramos. His TD has been apart for
>15
> > years, and he has no other MG. Yet he works on every GOF and devotes
>hundreds of
> > hours to the hobby. Is he an enthusiast, I think so.
> >
> > I think the Ramoses of this world who stick with the hobby and devote
>themselves
> > over long years are more valuable to all of us then those who arrive on the
> > scene, devour the hobby and are gone.
> >
> > If you like to polish your car and nothing else, thats fine. I once spent a
> > lovely English evening going through a grave yard looking for Captain Eyston
> > grave. Nuts? Probably. That was however important to me.
> >
> > Anyone on this list who has been on it more than a month, is somewhat of an
> > enthusiast just doing that.
> >
> > Please, we must respect every aspect of this hobby, and no one has the
>right to
> > judge the commitment and inner feelings of the other.
> >
> > David, you are usually entertaining, witty, and an asset to this list. Time
> > however will be the ultimate test of enthusiasm. And no, I am not angry at
>you.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Well said.

> [...]
Ditto here!

I have been a TD owner for 2 1/2 years. The first 16 months the car was
in restoration. During that time I have read nearly everything about the
T-series, met many super people and corresponded with many more. My 11
year old son is just starting to enjoy 'cars' and my 3 year old daughter
actually helps me work on the TD, my 26 year old could car less about
anything mechanical.

I am very pleased to be associated with those of you- all of you who
enjoy these cars. That's the joy for me. The enjoyment of the cars and
the people. I have never been so filled with fun and enthusiastic people
in any endeavor over my 47 years. The advise is appreciated and the
varied interests are appealing to me.

Life is too short to complain..unless it involves politics!

Carry on and keep those 'cards and letters coming'

Steve Tritle