MGA stuff

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA stuff
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 15:01:20 -0600
Carol,

Ah, my favorite subject- MGA technical stuff!  I have been reading your
posts with great interest.  I hear enthusiasm in the words.  MGA's are such
good looking cars, its tough not to be excited.

Concerning the front wheel bearings-  I have not heard where A's have weak
front bearings. Barney beats his to a pulp and I don't remember that he
said these gave him problems.  Personally, I would replace them with new
versions of what came out.  "Improvements" are not always for the best.

Concerning lubrication of sliding surfaces such as splines- I would use
synthetic greas such as Mobil 1 (no, I do not make money off Mobil sales, I
just like their products)  Vaseline is not a lubricant per se.  I am also
not sure whether it evaporates over time.

Concerning thread lubrication- I guess I don't understand why you would
want to lubricate them.  For assembly, I would use Loctite on ALL
fasteners.  There are different grades- I believe Blue would be used for
most fasteners.  If originality is not a concern, I would recommend using
stainless steel fasteners wherever possible.  Clean any reused bolts well
and, after assemble, use some rust preventative coating (paint?)

The only thread that I can think of that you would want to lubricate is the
Knock off thread (my car doesn't have wire wheels so it didn't occur to me
right away).  Again, I would use synthetic grease.  I suppose Vaseline may
look cleaner but, having had to use a torch to get one wheel off my B years
ago, I would go for as much protection as I can get.

Good luck with the A.

Bill Eastman
61 MGA presently hibernating.