Re: MGA stuff

To: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA stuff
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 20:09:33 -0800
At 03:01 PM 11/22/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Carol,

.... SNIP ....

>Concerning thread lubrication- I guess I don't understand why you would
>want to lubricate them.  For assembly, I would use Loctite on ALL
>fasteners.  There are different grades- I believe Blue would be used for
>most fasteners.  If originality is not a concern, I would recommend using
>stainless steel fasteners wherever possible.  Clean any reused bolts well
>and, after assemble, use some rust preventative coating (paint?)
>
>The only thread that I can think of that you would want to lubricate is the
>Knock off thread (my car doesn't have wire wheels so it didn't occur to me
>right away).  Again, I would use synthetic grease.  I suppose Vaseline may
>look cleaner but, having had to use a torch to get one wheel off my B years
>ago, I would go for as much protection as I can get.

Sorry Bill, I gotta disagree with you there.

Having torn down several MGB's, a Sprite and a TC (and even put some back
together!)  I've learned the hard way to put anti-seize on virtually
everything.  I'm arguably fortunate in that I have alternate transportation
and the LBC's are for touring and relaxation purposes only.  Driving is best
but wrenching when one dosen't HAVE to is a close second.  I'd much rather
spend a pleasant afternoon puttering around making sure all the shiney bits
shine, all the whirring bits whir and all the tight bits are still tight
than to have to resort to cheater bars or ( heaven forbid!) a nut splitter
or torch to remove some (probably foreign made) part that has lost its smoke
or Lucasaide.   I use anti-seize on virtually everything especially splined
hubs.  It's much higher viscosity makes it great for inside your nice clean
wire hubs.

On the topic of wire wheel hubs:  I've had pretty good success with a light
smear of silicone (RTV) on the inside of the hub to seal up the ends of the
spokes.  When it dries this seals over the nibbles (?) and prevents any
lubricant from escaping the hub and mucking up the spokes.

Oh yes.....  While reading about chilling biting cats and enthusiasm and the
relative merits of same, a couple questions occured to me. To wit:  what are
Dremel's used for? and.......What does MOWOG mean?

(RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!)
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT