Re: Stainless hardware

To: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Stainless hardware
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:41:51 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, William Eastman wrote:

> ... If originality is not a concern, I would recommend using
> stainless steel fasteners wherever possible.  Clean any reused bolts well
> and, after assemble, use some rust preventative coating (paint?)

  Alot of stainless steel fasteners are SAE Grade 2; I dont use these
  for anything other than cosmetic/trim items.  Never, ever, use
  stainless hardware on any drivetrain/suspension/brake component.

  A great reference for hardware (and just an all around nifty book) is
  _Nuts,_ Bolts,_Fasteners_and_Plumbing by Carroll Smith.  It tells
  you more than you ever wanted to know about hardware.  Cost about $20.

  -Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.        'Its better to be silent and
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA     thought a fool than speak and
   (610) 481-2646                         remove all doubt' --A. Lincoln