Fwd: Last weeks "chestnut" - Alternator woes2

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Last weeks "chestnut" - Alternator woes2
From: OSCALETA99@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 01:14:17 -0500
am resending this since the first one left off the meat of the info  - and
only sent the windbagging part.......sorry

Many of you may recall that dialogue with several, including myself having
various forms of ignition and starting problems.
This morning ,I proceeded to seek the very root....
I tried to jump .....and eventually bumped the 72B into life and went off to
see my mate Alex who owns a neat garage and does all the stuff to my cars
that i either cant do or am afraid of! (all his kids are going to Harvard -
wonder why?)
his Ammeter told us in a moment that it really was the battery which - a bit
like a NY Jets receiver - couldnt hold its own arse with both hands, let
alone a charge.
Replacement at $87.40 was achieved and all is now well however I was somewhat
miffed that my ten month old battery was a goner. Alex showed me an article
he had received from a battery manufacturer pointing out that there is a
significant incidence

                                                             ================
of failure to batteries that stand for extended periods of time.......
this is due to sulfation(sic) of the plates during inactivity.
Im sure some of you have the fortitude to use your cars year round but here
in the frozen north, mine will be hibernating shortly with occasional warmups
if i can get to the cars ,
Obviously a lot of you will be hibernating soon as well- perhaps it may be an
idea to remove the battery (like were always told but never do) and use it in
daily drivers occasionally.
Anyone else have this recently?

mike robson
69 roadster (battery fine tho one occasionally sticky valve)
72 roadster (NEW battery - wow)
73 BGT (original twin batteries which have stood fof fifteen years - hmmmm..)

Subj:    Re: Last weeks "chestnut" - Alternator woes