Re: Fwd: Last weeks "chestnut" - Alternator woes2

To: OSCALETA99@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Last weeks "chestnut" - Alternator woes2
From: bleckstein@monmouth.com
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 09:30:37 -0500 (EST)
Its so nice to talk about the cars. Since I have several, battery maintance is
always a problem.  I don't winter store the cars as the garage will maintain
40F
no matter how cold it gets in N.J. I like to run the cars even in winter if the
weather breaks for a day.

What I have been doing over the past two years is using a trickel charger of
one
amp. connected to a simple 24 hour lamp timer. I can connect two or three cars
to the timer and set the 'on' period from one to two hours a day. This seems to
keep the batteries in good shape.

I do note that a reasonable battery can be bought in the Spring when needed for
$40 at any price club or K Mart. Not really a major cost for a full season of
fun with no starting problems. These batteries last three to five years with
this method. The trickel chargers were $19.95 from J.C. Whitney and you get
thousands of catalogues from them after you make a purchase. The new technology
of these maintance chargers were not available when I set this system up, and
if
Wal Mart has them for $25 perhaps thats the way to go. It seem that they were
$50 when they first came out. Anyone have long time experience with these
devises?

 By the way, the chargers I got come with a cigar lighter adapter as well as
clips. Makes it easy to hook up the two MGB's and avoid going into the battery
compartment.

Mike Leckstein