Ignition warning light won't go off!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition warning light won't go off!
From: Felix Wong <felixksw@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 18:23:54 -0800 (PST)
Hey y'all, got a technical question for ya.  A week ago, when
it was raining pretty hard in California, my ignition warning
light went on.  After spending 10 minutes under the bonnet,
playing with wires like I knew what I was doing, I could not
find something obviously wrong.  At that point I was drenched
to the bone so I just got back into the B and kept on going.
I figured that since the headlights hadn't dimmed even a bit,
the alternator must have been working at least a little...

Anyway, my B got me home nevertheless... in fact she has got
me home everyday since then as if nothing is wrong.  However,
the ignition warning light has stayed on, although under non-idle
conditions the light is only bright enough to see at night.
It does get brighter during idle.  To add to the mystery, the 6-amp
fuse on my alarm kept on blowing during the week before the ignition
light first stayed on permanently...

Does anyone have a guess as to what is happening?  Is there a way
to test the alternator to see if it is working 100%?  Can someone
explain to me how the ignition idiot light works?  I studied the
electrical schematic, and it seems that the light is simply connected
to the voltage regulator (which is integrated into this particular
alternator) and the ignition.  I suppose the light goes on when there
is a voltage differential between the ignition and the voltage regulator?

Again, the car/electrical accessories have been working as usual so
I am perplexed!
-Felix
      __        Felix Wong             Palo Alto, California
      |,\_O    (415)528-9768 [pager]
   ( )/ LL     http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~felixksw/
        ( )    '69 B, '92 C'dale 3.0 R (stiff, light, and FAST)
   Fw = mg                   "Safety fast!"