Impending DOOM ?

To: mgs@autox.team.net (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested)
Subject: Impending DOOM ?
From: Phillips Kevin <Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:19:00 +0000
Being well into the season of heavy frosts and snow etc here in England I have
been expecting a few problems with the B in what is my first winter with an
LBC.
So far none of the things I had expected have happened - plenty of time yet  :)
However I have encountered a worrying sign of what may be impending doom...

On checking the oil I found a water droplet on the dipstick.. on looking in the
rocker cover the telltale white goo of water mixing with the oil...  Panic
begins... The car is a daily driver `74 Chrome B and so as I need to keep using
it I have not stripped the engine or done any more than take off the rocker
cover and clean out the crud.  So far it's been going fine for over a week
(used
every day, driven a total of 130 miles) with no ill effects.

Other (useful) info.

18V engine
Oil Pres 60psi  at 4k  45psi at idle (800 rpm)
No oily crud in the radiator
does (always has) burn oil (smokes a bit)

Can anyone offer some advice as to what to do - is this a DO NOT USE CAR type
of
problem or can I carry on driving it (as I am doing) ?    What are the things
look for in tracking down the problem ?

Could this be condensation on the inside of rocker cover /sump ? It was been
very wet and cold of late and the car is parked outside all day after a short 4
mile trip to work.  The symptoms have only started since the really cold damp
weather set in - coincidence ?

Any help or pointers gratefully accepted.

Kevin.

P.S. Always looking on the bright side, as I do, there is an upside to this -
On removing the rocker cover to clean out the white crud and check the valves
and rockers for water I noticed that the rockers seemed very loose.  They had
much more play in them than I expected - so I checked the clearances and they
were all 0.030 or more out of wack.  Gaps of 0.040 to 0.050 as opposed to
0.015.
Having set them up correctly the car now runs so smoothly I can't believe it -
the noise all comes from the back end now instead of the front !!