Impending DOOM ? -Reply

To: Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk
Subject: Impending DOOM ? -Reply
From: Bert Otten <Bert.Otten@nni.nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:56:50 +0100
>>> Phillips Kevin <Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk> 96-11-25  14:19 ,
wrote:

On checking the oil I found a water droplet on the dipstick.. on looking in
the
rocker cover the telltale white goo of water mixing with the oil...  Panic
begins... The car is a daily driver `74 Chrome B and so as I need to keep
using

18V engine
Oil Pres 60psi  at 4k  45psi at idle (800 rpm)
No oily crud in the radiator
does (always has) burn oil (smokes a bit)

Could this be condensation on the inside of rocker cover /sump ? It was
been
very wet and cold of late and the car is parked outside all day after a
short 4
mile trip to work.  The symptoms have only started since the really cold
damp
weather set in - coincidence ?

Kevin,

I don't think there is anything wrong with your engine. In fact you said it
already; The cold weather and the 4 mile daily trips cause your oil to get
contamined by unused gasoline and moisture due to blow-by of a cold
and inefficient working engine. My advice is to drive your MGB for a long
trip, and making sure that the engine gets a good working temperature to
'cook' away all moisture in your oil.
Of course you could as well refresh the oil.

BTW, the oil pressure of your engine sounds very healthy.

Bert Otten
'66 MGB