Re: MG Heater Tip & Question!

To: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG Heater Tip & Question!
From: swilliams@media-net.net (Williams, Scott)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:35:22 +0500
On 24-Nov-96, Jim Boyd wrote:
>Hey Listers:

>This recent "condensation" thread got me thinking about my '67 GT which
>has perpetual problems while driving during the winter.  Then a friend
>stopped by yesterday with his GT and told me how he flushed the heater
>core out with a garden hose and a high pressure garden type attachment.
>He removed both heater hoses from the engine and stuck the garden hose
>into the heater hoses, one at a time.  He said he was shocked to see
>sand, dirt, pine needles and other garbage fow out of the heater!  Now
>he reports that there is TONS more air flow when defrosting the
>windscreen.  This sounds like a cheap approach to restore the heater to
>original capacity.  Anyone out there tried this?

>Also, I would like to replace my original single speed heater with a
>late model MG 2 speed heater.  Will this simply bolt in?  What year did
>BL start using the 2 speed heater?  I think it must have been around
>1975 or so.  I checked on the price for a three position switch (off,
>low, high) that is the early ('62-'66) headlight switch.  It costs about
>$30.00, from our local Moss distributor, which is a little too pricey
>for me!  Anyone know of a less expensive vendor for the same switch?

Jim,

I don't know if you would gain much from using a later motor, because the
motor is still a single speed motor on later cars. The low speed comes from a
resistor wire coil in the path of the airflow of the fan.

I've found in each of my cars a bunch of stuff cloging the heater fins, but
only by removing the heater box from the car and disassembling the thing.
Flushing should only get you rust, not pine needles! The 1970 America had a
mouse nest built on top of the core. Without removing the box to see, I never
would have known, except that the heater wasn't heating. BTW, removing the
heater also revealed the door key which had fallen down the defroster tube.
And I thought I would have to find new door locks!

I did buy and install in the "B" that fancy plastic large-finned fan that was
supposed to be designed for the RV8. The heater seems to do the same with the
OEM fan or with the new style one.

If you want a really warm winter car, get an Marina.

--
Scott C. Williams

'73 Austin Marina (daily driver)   '74 1/2 MGT/GT  '71 Austin America
'70 Austin America  '63 MG1100  - All at home in Russell, Kansas
<Website soon!!>