Re: Holy Matrimony

To: Sheree.Wegeng@carle.com
Subject: Re: Holy Matrimony
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 07:25:44 -0500
Sheree.Wegeng@carle.com wrote:

> I have a question to put out to the group as a whole-this isn't directed at
> anyone in particular, so don't anyone go having a cow. My husband and I have
> often wondered(after observing many single men at events, and hearing their
> sad stories) why anyone would marry someone who had no interest in, or worse
> yet, disliked something about which they are so passionate? Were these people
> not enthusiasts when they became married? Our love of cars was one of the
> things that brought us together-we could never had been married if we did not
> both feel the same way. I always feel sad when I see single(married)men
> looking longingly at the two of us having fun at an event. One of my friends
> even said that he got his wife to drive in an autocross, and she said it was
> "boring"!! Apparently this woman walks a tightrope over the Grand Canyon for
> fun, how else could you find an autocross boring??I must admit, I have little
> interest in the Porsche Club (my husband's passion), but this is only because
> I don't care for the people, who for the most part I find petty and
> closeminded.(one of my biggest pet peeves is intolerance).
>
> Just wondering,
> Sheree W.
>
> PS-we even had our car on our wedding invitations!!

Sherre-

I am 34, married for nigh 10 years.  My very first car was an LBC, a 72
Spitfire Mk IV, which I obtained between my junior and senior year in
high school.  Too young, too broke, and without a lot of mechanical
experience, the car rapidly decayed, and was sold 18 months later, after
a failed master cylinder resulted in a shortened wheelbase (with the
help of the back end of a semi trailer).  But the spark was lit.

I kept the flame alive - but in the closet, through the next 15 years.
Met an married my wonderful wife, and started a family.  Almost 4 years
ago I came out of the LBC closet, and bought a run-down 77B, as a
project.  Now the car is finished, but must compete for time with my
wife and two kids.

My wife is not an LBC enthusiast.  To her cars are about as exciting as
a refrigerator - maybe less so (and I knew it when we married).  So I do
most of my LBC stuff "single".  Doesn't bother me in the least, except
that to maintain marital bliss I do a bit less than I would if she was
interested in it.  Same thing applied when I was riding motorcycles, or
4-wheeling through the boonies.

It may not be a perfect life for everyone, but it works just fine for
me.

Regards,

Chris Delling