Re: Firing order

To: shone@singnet.com.sg
Subject: Re: Firing order
From: Bert Otten <Bert.Otten@nni.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:55:05 +0100
"Mark Shone" <shone@singnet.com.sg> 96-11-29  6:35 >>>

>I've gone and muddled up the HT ignition leads. Can someone please tell
>me the order the leads go into the distributor (Lucas 25D4) on an MGB. I
>know the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2 and that the no 1 plug is the front plug,
>but which hole in the distributor is this and then do I count
>anti-clockwise from this hole, ie in the same direction as the rotor arm
>turns.

>Thanks for your help, sorry to ask such I silly question too! I'll try not
>to do that again.

Mark,

I had the same problem last year when I first tried to start my engine after
the restoration was finished. I went through the complete Haynes manual
to figure out what direction the rotor should point for the nr. 1 plug, but it
simply  is not in the manual!  I then did it by trial and error;  I put the
leads
back in the position I thought I had found them before -this was wrong-
the engine ran barely,  with a lot of exhaust explosions.
I just rearranged the leads then by one spot (still keeping the right firing
order)  and that was OK. I think - but don't sue me for it! - the nr.1 rotor
position is pointing to the SW looking at the distributor.

Of course taking out the plug in the nr.1 cylinder and feeling if the piston
is in the TDC - for the first time -  gives you the same information.

Good luck

Bert Otten
'66 B (not driven in two weeks and counting)