Re: bgt fenders and windshields

To: BRUCE PHILLIPS <mgb1964@cois.on.ca>
Subject: Re: bgt fenders and windshields
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 17:32:23 -0800
At 02:04 PM 11/29/96 -0500, you wrote:

>        I need the wisdom of the list .

 My question is , Are new
>windshields and fenders readily available and if so where from ? As I am in
>Canada (Barrie ,, 60 miles north of Toronto,,) what are the difficulties of
>shipping such items from the U.S. ?
>

>thanks for any help
>
>Bruce

Hi Bruce and Welcome to the list!

I bring stuff in all the time from all over and have had absolutely (well...
almost absolutely) no difficulties at all.   I only live about 15 minutes
from the border so what I do is have the parts delivered to a UPS parcel
depot right across the line and, when the parcels arrive, I go for a little
drive, pick up my parts and clear them through customs on my own.  This
method affords me an opportunity to take the TC for a nice drive ( weather
permitting) and saves me the Canada Post handling charge.  On parts for a
car over 25 years old there is no duty at all but GST is payable on the full
order amount.  The only time I had any difficulty at all was one some
officious bas#$%d at Customs didn't belive I had a 29 year old car and
insisted that I must always provide the registration to prove the age of the
car. He insisted this was standard procedure.  He let me through eventually
and ever since I've always carried the registration for one of the MG's with
me on my parts runs.  No one has even mentioned it since.  I have had parts
shipped direct through to my home but the shipping rates go up and everybody
who touches it wants a piece.  If you're in Barrie it's probably not
feasable to drive to Windsor for a small package but if you're bringing in
fenders and such you may feel different.  In short, you can get virtually
anything shipped right to your front door with very little headache if your
pockets are deep enough.

Most of the large parts houses are familiar with crossborder shipping and
will, on request, stick a customs/tariff label on your package that
specifies that the enclosed parts are for a car over 25 years old.

Regarding the glass, I THINK you can probably get it a good local glass
shop.  Have you checked? The fenders may be a bit more difficult.  I know
BMH is producing GT fenders again but I'm not sure what for year they start.
I know they are for later than my GT (1966).  I don't have a catalog at hand
but you might be alright with a 69.  It's not a big deal anyway because I'm
told the only diffence on early chrome-bumper cars is the position of the
side markers.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT