RE: Best way to become informed?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Best way to become informed?
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 03 Dec 1996 12:54:48 -0600
In <c=US%a=_%p=Starwave%l=FOLSOM-961203171410Z-147419@singsing.starwave.com>,
Randy Rees wrote:
>I don't believe that is fair to the users of this list. We all know that
>errors can be made in the manual as well as most of the manuals for the
>MGB are ancient. I believe Mr. Twist has always swore by 20W50 in the
>tranny ( excuse me if this is wrong, but  this is just an example. ), I
>think John has seen more broken MG's through his shop than Abingdon or
>Hayes ever have . I believe experience is the key to this list and
>referring every question to "the Manual " would be a great injustice.

I'm gonna call you on that one, podnah.

The official MG shop manual specifies engine oil for the tranny.  This
isn't worth arguing about.  Where I am going to pick some nits is to
challenge you to find any fact or procedure that you can find in the
official MG shop manual that has been proven inadvisable.  Just
because it's old doesn't mean that it's broken.

My point is that much of the recent traffic on the net could have been
answered by reading the manual.  As an educator, I don't believe that
it is an "injustice" to expect people to try to inform themselves as
completely as possible.  I have seen all sorts of nonsensical advice
on the net, and have given up trying to present opposing arguments.
The point here is that the collective wisdom of the net is usually
wrong more often than the manual is.

                A. B. "Boy, are we being pedantic today" Bonds