Weber Carb types (Was RE: Consensus)

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG's)
Subject: Weber Carb types (Was RE: Consensus)
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:44:09 -0500 (EST)

> I suppose you could call it that. It definitely is not the tamer of the
> two styles. DCOE's are the sidedraft model and the big difference is
> that both barrels open at the same time vs. a DGV which is considered
> progressive, more like a Holley.

  The DCOE's are considered "sport" models by the factory, while the DGV's
are considered "production." But there is a whole other line of carbs, best
represented by the IDA, which are considered "race" models.  These usually
have huge throats and no starting circuit, which makes them pretty
ill-suited for road use.
  Randy is right about the DCOE being simultaneous and the DGV being
progressive, but Weber does (did?) make simultaneous downdrafts, designated
as DCS, DGA, and a few other.

  Ok, now its time to give away my secret.  I'm not actually a Weber expert,
I just play one on TV.  Actually, I got home and dug out my fantastic book
on Webers called, strangely enough, "Weber Carburetors" by Pat Braden (ISBN
0895863774).  It's really a good book to get if you're thinking about a
Weber conversion.  It's only $15 and it covers history, theory, rebuilding,
tuning, troubleshooting and conversions all really beautifully.

----
Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com
Manager, Info Systems                      http://www.thlogic.com/~jer/
Thermalogic Corporation                    '60 TR3A, '74 MGB, '76 Spit