RE: Air Compressors and Lurking!

To: Randy Rees <randyr@starwave.com>
Subject: RE: Air Compressors and Lurking!
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:00:44 -0600
At 04:10 PM 12/10/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I have a 4HP sears compressor that if I add an extension cord of less
>than 12Ga. it sputters once and shuts off. So I assume that you are
>right about the 15-20 amps. But how is it then that they can sell a 6hp
>110V compressor?. You've got me thinking, my compressor can be converted
>to 220V, so will that help my CFM output any? i.e. a compressor that is
>running closer to its rated HP.

Randy -
        How is it then that they can sell a 6hp 110V compressor?  Call it
creative
marketing! ;')  Changing to 220V with the same motor will only give a
negligible increase in horsepower - slightly better efficiency.  It will
decrease the current consumption by half, but the wattage and horsepower
stay the same.  In order to increase CFM, you must increase piston
displacement and/or RPM.  Changing drive pulley sizes would increase RPM,
but you would need to have an electric motor with the capacity to drive it.
 The real way to get more CFM is to spent more $$ on a larger system.

Wayne Kube      wkube@iadfw.net
'79B
Plano, TX       http://web2.airmail.net/wkube