Re: Transmission Oil

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Oil
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 23:03:54 -0500
Tom Wagner - Program Manager wrote:

> To All of the wisdom :
>
> I have a 67 "B" that is in bad need of
> transmission oil.  This is a 4 speed all
> synchro with an LH type OD unit.  The manual
> says to use 20W50 Castrol, but people on the
> net say to use 30W, detergent - non-detergent.
>
> So Questions #1:  Who is right????
>
> Question #2:  How can you tell if the
> SAE 30W is detergent or non-detergent oil???
>
> Question#3:  What is the correct weight and is
> it to be non-detergent or detergent oil.
>
> Thanks for the clarification in advance.
>
> Tom Wagner
> 67 MGB

I agree with the manual, Tom.  20W50 Castrol is the one.  If you buy 30W
you'll note "HD" or "ND" ( high detergent;non-detergent)after the weight
designate.  You'll find that the 30W stuff will foam like hell in your
tranny for awhile, and it will cause even a good one to whine.  My
advice...stick with the book.

Michael