Re: Transmission Oil

To: Tom Wagner - Program Manager <tom.w.wagner@Central.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Transmission Oil
From: Shel Bercovich <sbercovi@cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:09:22 -0700
Tom,

Having driven (hard) a '67 B-GT and a '71 B-GT, both with overdrives,
for a total of some 200,000 miles, I can assure you that Castrol GTX
20W50 is the right stuff!

As far as I know, the only non-detergent oil is a mineral oil, and I
haven't seen any of that since the racing days of the '60s. (You always
knew when a race car was running Castrol Mineral oil by the different
smell. Would you believe hot cod liver oil?) :-)

Shel '74 B-GT (with the o/d tranny out of the above '71)

Tom Wagner - Program Manager wrote:

> To All of the wisdom :
>
> I have a 67 "B" that is in bad need of
> transmission oil.  This is a 4 speed all
> synchro with an LH type OD unit.  The manual
> says to use 20W50 Castrol, but people on the
> net say to use 30W, detergent - non-detergent.
>
> So Questions #1:  Who is right????
>
> Question #2:  How can you tell if the
> SAE 30W is detergent or non-detergent oil???
>
> Question#3:  What is the correct weight and is
> it to be non-detergent or detergent oil.
>
> Thanks for the clarification in advance.
>
> Tom Wagner
> 67 MGB

Shel Bercovich  sbercovi@cadvision.com      trcr@canuck.com     /\
Join the Trail Riders of the Canadian Rockies (Non-Profit)     /  \
    See our WEB pages at: http://www.canuck.com/~trcr         / /\ \
                   Or at: http://www.cadvision.com/trcr      / /  \ \
        "Come Ride with Us in Banff National Park"