Re: MGB, 1975, Silver Anniv. Ed.

To: Carol <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: MGB, 1975, Silver Anniv. Ed.
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 01:06:33 -0500
Carol wrote:

> I have a "line" on a 1975 MGB "Silver Anniversary Special Edition" car at a
> good $$$.
>
> (You all know I'm looking for my very own car!!)
>
> Now...what is this "SASE" business?? Does that make the car worth more? Less?
>
> It might be a steal at $600. I get nervous when the ad reads "motor runs
> good, no dents."
<snip>

Carol:

I've got a 75 B, so know a little about this. $600 is a REAL good price
... I'd be amazed if it ran atall for that money. Make certain the
rockers are in good shape and don't have a lot of rust ... real obvious
sign of sagging rockers is that the gap at the top of the door/wing
junction is narrower than that at the bottom. Lindsey Porter's said more
about this than I ever could ... his book's a good one to check out if
you're purchasing a B. "MGB Guide to Purchase and DIY Restoration".

The 50th anniversary cars were not that different from the regular ones,
but they did have gold front and rear badges; in the UK, they were dark
green with gold trim, and had a badge on the glove box which said "MG
1925-1975" and had the car # on them. The UK model had gold rostyle
wheels, too. I'm not certain if this car was sold in the US, as the SASE
cars in the UK were almost all GT's, and I know they didn't sell those
here after 74 or so. I've seen one SASE US roadster; it was originally
red, but had the gold trim package, gold badges, and glove box badge on
it. I don't think this would add a significant amount to the purchase
price of the car; they weren't that special (just a trim package,
basically, like a Wolfsburg Edition VW Rabbit) but there aren't many of
them. Personally, I'd be more worried about what restorable shape the
car's in first. After that, you can dicker with the fella about the SASE
package. :)

Hope that helped.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'