Re: Texas winters and MGA's - no fun

To: Carol <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: Texas winters and MGA's - no fun
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 16:26:31 +0000
WARNING: Post not entirely composed with LBC content. Read at you own
risk. In respect for bandwidth conservation, however, lower case
characters were used as often as possible.

Carol, you're a whiner! If you were to pull out your atlas, you might be
aghast to discover that Texas is not the center of the universe! It's
actually somewhat south. Most of the posters ain't gonna feel sorry for
your balmy 28 degrees! It was windy and 6 degrees when I went to work,
warmed up to just over a dozen, and is going to drop to, oh, about 0
tonight in Kansas City. Besides, the cold weather will probably have its
fill of Texas soon enough and you'll be drinking margaritas on the
veranda by Friday night. Around here we're hoping for temperatures above
freezing for a few hours on Saturday. Maybe.

So you ain't got a cold weather starting problem.

(LBC Mode On)

What you are probably witnessing is the rather casual relationship
generators have with batteries. Generators are only efficent over 40 or
50 miles an hour -- and for long periods. If you just cruise the
neighborhoods at low speeds (the last sporting venue for MGA's <g>) your
generator may not be keeping up.

I'd suggest buying a battery charger and introducing it to your 'A'
regularly. Alternatively, you can get a trickle charger and just leave
the thing connected to the car; plugging it in to house power as
required.

Anybody sells battery chargers; 10 amp automatics for around $35 will do
fine. But then, of course, you have to become adept at hooking it up
(and remember positive ground!) A good source for a trickle charger is
at a motorcyle store. Bikers commonly leave their sikles "plugged in"
during the winter if they're not going to use them for a long period of
time. Harley dealers are usually particulatly good sources for trickle
chargers as they are used similarly to MGAs <g>.

I'll bet you a Lone Star that three hours on a charger and the 'A' will
spin to life. If not, then you likely have (surprise) a ground problem.
There should be a healthy strap between the battery and the frame and
then another between the frame and the engine. The 'other' cable should
also be stout and clean on both ends from the battery to the starter.

As for the smoke on start up, the engine probably enhaled a bunch of gas
waiting for the ignition system to accumulate enough juice to light off.
One of the injustices of electrics is that starters will suck every bit
of current they can with no consideration for the needs of the ignition
coil.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69MGC/GT, '75TR6

Carol wrote:

> This is a "love-hate" story, and I usually tend to get a bit windy,
> so...continue reading at your very own risk!
>
> Setting:
>
> December 17, 1996
> San Antonio, Texas
> Time: 5:30 p.m. CST
> Temp: 28 deg. F
> Wind: 25 mph out of the north
> Windchill: had to be at least  -80F

{ Typical Texan exageration. Must be a native.... rda }

<snip>

> OK. Let's wait 10 minutes. We giggled like little kids hiding our utter
> discomfort from each other. OK. Try her again. "ch..."  Rats. OK, another 15
> minutes. "Ch...ch..ch..ch..ch..." C'mon Darlin'! You can do it. Start,  you
> cold-natured "Beast"!  "Ch..." Nothing.

{ FYI-- it has been my experience that the term Darlin' is only
effective after
plying target with large quantities of petrol... rda }