Re: Battery Brands

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>, Michael.Lytton@sierra.com
Subject: Re: Battery Brands
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 23:49:34 -0500
Michael.Lytton@sierra.com wrote:

>      When I bought my '70 MGB about 2 and a half years ago, it had a Group
>      26 12V Exide battery in it.  This battery has never given out on me,
>      even when the car sat for several months with various engine bits
>      scattered about my work bench.  It seems to have plenty of amps for my
>      use, but I must admit the car doesn't see temperatures below freezing
>      very often.
>
>      I've also had two Exides in my H*nda.  The first gave out after only 2
>      years, but I got the replacement prorated.  The second one seems to be
>      doing fine, though it's only a year old so far.
>
>      Incidently, I've heard that 72-month batteries are a sham: they are
>      identical to a 60-month battery but with fancier decals and a higher
>      price to cover the longer warranty.  Anyone else hear this?
>
>      Michael Lytton
>      michael.lytton@sierra.com
> Michael.

I've heard that but had no base in fact.  I've had Exides in my '85 Volvo Wagon
- gone
262,000 miles on just TWO. I did it because of the fit, believe it or not.
I've been
running a Group 26-type 60 month Interstate in my '67 B with no trouble so far.
The old
boy can even keep it charged.  Don't know much about Optimas, but I do know
Moss charges
waaay too much for them.

Cheers,

Michael Ohleger