Re: Sprite Front Suspension

To: SMitch1441@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sprite Front Suspension
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 08:51:27 -0600
SMitch1441@aol.com wrote:

> I had planned to place the spring into position, raise the A-arm, then
> compress the spring by using a hydraulic bottle jack under the end of the
> A-arm.  Once compressed the trunnion would then be bolted to the end of the
> lever shock.  I'm worried about the spring popping lose during this process
> and becoming a missle.  Is this the best approach?

That's how I did it on my B.  I felt pretty safe about it.  The spring
isn't under much compression until you are ready to bolt things together
- and the pans have a deep recess to hold the ends of the spring.  I did
use a block of wood between the jack and the A-arm - less chance of the
jack slipping off the arm.  You can buy or rent a spring compressor.
Most rental places have them - but they may be in bad shape.  Some auto
parts stores also rent them.

--
Wayne Kube      wkube@iadfw.net
1979 MGB        http://web2.airmail.net/wkube