Re: Roadster Windshield

To: Warren Pruitt <wpruitt@charleston.net>
Subject: Re: Roadster Windshield
From: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 08:23:33 -0800 (PST)

Old post, sorry for the late reply:

When I did my '63, I used a series of rope loops and metal bars ( a
screwdriver works nicely ) to create tension by twisting.

Your problem is easily solved with two loops of rope:  pass them around
the windshield vertically a few incehs from either side of the center
rod.  Make a small loop in the slack, insert the metal rod of of your
choice, and slowly start a-twisting!  When the dome nut is securely
attached to the center rod, SLOWLY loosen the ropes by twisting in the
reverse direction.

This method worked WITHOUT the use of lubricants for the entire
windshield -- took about a weekend of patient twisting every 20 minutes
or so, but given the state the resst of the car was in at the time, I
wasn't in a hurry.

Also, I was able to remove and replace the entire windscreen without
harming the dash or removing any other components by using a universal
socket joint where the open-end wrench wouldn't fit.

You're probably already finished, but I thought I'd share this
anyway...hands down, I thought the windshield was a piece o' cake
compared with cutting off the seized exhaust mainfold bolts!

-- Marc