Re: Upgrade options for MGB front suspensions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Upgrade options for MGB front suspensions
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 20:13:18 +0800
Cliff Maddox asked:

> Has any one had any first hand experience with any of the front
> suspension conversions that are currently on the market?  Some of these
> kits have been out for several years (Moss,  Browns & Gammons ,etc.) but
> perhaps because of the expense (and the general longevity of the
> original Armstrong shocks)  I have not  had the occasion to either
> sample one first hand or speak with someone who has.

The conversion I have lusted after for a long, long time is the one
from Ron Hopkinson. It features Bilstein telescopics front and rear.
The fronts appear to have a much better geometry than the usual add
ons, and unlike the Moss coil-over conversion, they use the standard
front coil spring, so you can make the ride as soft or stiff as you
like. The shocks were supposed to have been developed especially for
this application. Last I checked, the complete (front and rear) kit
was priced at #299, including VAT. Somehow that translates to almost
USD$1000 if you buy them from a US importer. I can't afford either
price at the moment, but it's the only front conversion I would
consider.

Jerry Causey - 1967 MGB GT
Whidbey Island, Washington, embraced by the Puget Sound
(fairly close to Seattle, and the rest of the USA)