Sealed beams

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sealed beams
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 15:13:15 -0600
I am sure that this is highly innacurate nonetheless I will throw in my 2
cents.

I believe that sealed beam headlights became the law in the early Fifities
in an attempt to standardize lighting systems in the U.S.  The thought was
that if there was only 2 types of headlight, then anyone could get a
replacement anywhere.  The reason that they went sealed beam was to ensure
that the reflector was always in good shape and to allow for universal
replacement due to rock damage.

In the fifties, this was a good idea.  Like many good ideas at the time, it
outlived it's usefullness.  In the Seventies, DOT went hog wild and allowed
square headlights.  Personally, I thind quad square headlights are about
the ugliest thing ever put on a car.  These were still sealed beam even
though the reason for sealed beams- rock damage and reflector degradation-
had long since become low risks due to improvements in roads and materials.

In the early Nineties, DOT finally started allowing separate bulb/reflector
systems using a standardized halogen insert.  I believe that now separate
bulb/ reflector assemblieas are legal provided that they use the standard
bulb.

There is still a limit on wattage for the bulbs so this is the reason that
many European lighting systems are illegal.  The may not use the standard
U.S. bulb format either.

If you use a halogen replacement that meets U.S. wattage laws, your LBC
wiring should be able to handle it unaltered- assuming it could handle the
original lights.  If you upgrade to an "illegal" light, you may be asking
for trouble because they can draw a lot more amperage.

Also, I have _never_  known anyone that has been ticketed for illegal
headlights.

Again, this is my understanding of the situation and if anyone knows the
real facts, by all means pipe in.

Regards
Bill Eastman
61 MGA  with sealed beam halogen replacements