Re: MGB lighting system

To: Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: MGB lighting system
From: Shel Bercovich <sbercovi@cadvision.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 16:25:08 -0700
Yes, the wiring did get a _little_ warm when running all 275 W, but
nothing untoward ever happened. Remember, all except the lo beams were
wired with relays. Actually, the bulbs in all those lamps were 55 W H1s.

The only time I can remember having a problem with the wiring in one of
the GTs was while using a friend's homebuilt capacitive discharge
ignition system on the '71. About a mile from Fallbrook, CA going down a
long hill, the interior started to smoke. Shut off the ignition, coasted
to the bottom, got out the extinguisher ready to fire (as it were), but
nothing happened.

Figured it was the CD system, unhooked it, separated a few of the wires
whose insulation had fried, wrapped them with electrician's tape (have
always carried a full tool kit in the Bs - even to Europe) and continued
on my way (back up here to Calgary within the week) without further
mishap. Carried on for 8 more years that way.

Todd Mullins wrote:

> Shel Bercovich writes:
>
> > I have run and am still running Cibie or Bosch halogens on all three of
> > my B-GTs with no change in wiring
>
> Really?  If you're running H4s, I *strongly* suggest you reach behind
> the dashboard and feel the wires at the lamp switch.  When I switched to
> H4s (stock wattage - 55/60) my wiring was *very* warm to the touch.
> Relays and 10 ga wire made a *big* difference (don't forget fuses).
>
> Anybody else out there:  H4s are THE way to go.  Period.

Shel Bercovich  sbercovi@cadvision.com      trcr@canuck.com     /\
Join the Trail Riders of the Canadian Rockies (Non-Profit)     /  \
    See our WEB pages at: http://www.canuck.com/~trcr         / /\ \
                   Or at: http://www.cadvision.com/trcr      / /  \ \
        "Come Ride with Us in Banff National Park"