Re: epoxy primer

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Don Walton <dhw@atomic.net>
Subject: Re: epoxy primer
From: Paul Hammarstedt <wfme@mc.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 21:44:26 -0600
Don Walton wrote:

> Hello all, I am new to the list and find it informative and entertaining.  I
> was wondering if anyone could suggest a brand of epoxy primer.  I have a '73
> and '74 MGBs and they both have to stripped to bare metal due to BADLY
> crazed paint.  If anyone has any suggestions,  please pass them along.
> Don Walton in NC
> 73MGB
> 74MGB

Don, if you are stripping the old paint, consider DuPont's self etching
primer.  Its hard to even sand the stuff off after it has been applied
to bare metal.

I've used and really like DuPont "Corlar" epoxy primer, but I've only
needed that to seal crappy old paint finishes from the new paint being
applied over them, or to seal fiberglass surfaces that have rather
porous gel coat.

I like DuPont materials, some prefer PPG and others.  I don't believe
there is much difference with regard to primers.  But for topcoats, it
seems to me that DuPont is hard to beat.  I've heard a lot of people say
that PPG paints are designed to match the recently prevalent American
automotive industries "orange peel" finishes.  This rumor may be dated
and no longer applicable.

CU