Re: British Flag

To: Carol <car@texas.net>, RJohn50603@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Flag
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 97 14:09:37 GMT
> >At least Americans get to fly their flag, did you know that we need =
planning
> >permission from the local authority to fly ours?
>
> 'Splain, please! This is absurd!!! You can't legally fly the British =
flag
> over your own domicile??
>
> I'm sure there is a logical reason for such legislation. Do you know =
what it
> is, Paul?
>
> Interesting...
>
> Carol
>
>Why? and what happens if you don't ask?
>
>I fly the American and Texas Flags most of the summer.
>
>R. Johnson - Dallas

I don't think 'flying the flag' has been singled out, rather that any
'construction or erection' has to have consent, only aerials and dishes =
below
a certain size are exempt, as are extensions that increase the floor area=
 by
less than a certain percentage (but not if it is bolted to the side of =
the
building and stands clear of the ground!).  The latter definition reminds=
 me of
a supposedly true complaint from a householder to her council that her =

neighbour 'has a large and unsightly erection in his garden'.

The council obtain a court judgement against you to remove it.  If you =
refuse
they can either send in the heavy mob to forcibly remove it (more court, =
more
cost), or you get fined.  If you refuse to pay the fines/costs they send =
in the
bailiffs to seize 'goods to the value of' or send you to jail with all =
the
other heinous lawbreakers such as muggers, murderers and rapists.  And =
there
you stay until you agree to remove it and/or pay up.

This situation goes back many years, it is a much more recent phenomenon =
that a
desire to display the Union flag is considered in some quarters to be evi=
dence
of 'excessive nationalism'.

About the only place where you will see the flag flying on a 'regular' =
basis
here is on Government and official buildings on the occasion of the birth=
day of
certain members of the Royal family.

Not that I've made a study of it or anything.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)