Re: Subject: Re: Headlight Legality

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Headlight Legality
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 15:23:19 -0800
At 01:07 PM 1/4/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I think the law varies from state to state in the US.  Whenever it rains or
is overcast
>I turn mine on.  I'd rather be seen than see anyway.   I was in Calgary,
Aalberta in
>1993 and was pulled over, as the sun set, by the RCMP for not having lights
on.  I
>pleaded ignorance, he warned me and I kept them on.
>
>And on that note, earlier Ray gibbons talked about low beam
cutoff...Driving around
>these days, is it my imagination or is it set higher on 4WD vehicles than
others?  I
>find myself adjusting my mirror not only in my lbc's but also in my M*zd*
and V*lv* as
>well.
>
>Any comments?
>
>Michael Ohleger

Since 1992 all new vehicles sold in Canada have daytime driving lights as
original equipment.  Many major studies have shown that driving with
headlights on at all time significantly reduces the chance of being involved
in an MVA.  Even in bright sunlight a car with lights on is more visible
than one without.  I have for years driven any and all vehicles with
headlights on.

The federally mandated Daytime Driving Lights are actually the regular
highbeams but connected in series so that they have only 1/2 the system
voltage applied to each lamp.  They come on as soon as the ignition is
switched on and the parking brake is released.  It costs very little to run
with headlights on and anything that keeps others from attempting to enter
the space I currently occupy is, in my view, a good thing.

Lights ON for safety!
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT