Re: Distributor Problem

To: "Paul M. Schwerdt" <ps@ecst.csuchico.edu>
Subject: Re: Distributor Problem
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 12:05:07 -0500
Paul M. Schwerdt wrote:

> I recently removed the distributor from my 64B in order to do some
> servicing.
>
> I replaced the arm, cap, capacitor, contacts, plugs, and wires.  I gapped
> everything correctly, and replaced the distributor.  Now the car fails to
> start.  Before it would start and run, but somewhat poorly. (hesitation)
> Does anyone have any clues?  I am a young person who is new to cars/MG's
> so I might be missing something that is obvious to more experienced
> people.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> -= PAUL =-

Paul:

Make certain you replaced the distributor properly; it will only go in
one way, I believe (if it's like mine, it will go in 180 degrees off,
too, but that's pretty obvious when it happens) but there is the matter
of seating it properly.  If it isn't seated, the car won't start.

Earthing is very important here. Make certain the distributor components
are re-assembled correctly with proper earth connexions ... the points
and condenser have an insulating bit between them. There should also be
some sort of insulating resistor on the outside that the condenser is
wired to (again, this may vary with model of distributor). Finally, be
certain the coil is earthed (sorry, grounded) properly and that the
wires on the coil are all connected securely (had this problem once when
one of the small ones broke off). If none of this works, exactly what do
you mean by 'won't start'? Does the engine turn over atall, or are you
getting nothing but a 'click' when you turn the key, or no click atall?

Best of luck, and stick with it!

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'