Re: MG vs. Triumph (Wake UP) (My .02 worth)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG vs. Triumph (Wake UP) (My .02 worth)
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 16:52:17 -0500
At 02:53 PM 1/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Ok, let me refrase my question:
>
>"Which car (MG or TR) do the girls like better ?"
>
>Well I am glad to see I did get 30 more messages than yesterday, so my
>ingenious plan must have worked.
>
>Leave it to adolesence to get people talking,
>
>Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@dynanet.com
>1966 MGB -- http://www.dynanet.com/~mowogmg
>
>Home email -- mowogmg@dynanet.com
>Work email -- webmaster58@juno.com
>Other email -- webking@bigfoot.com

Well, my first *real* car (we're not counting the '74 Dodge Colt
my Dad insisted on) was a '71 TR-6.  Black, black factory
hardtop and a correct British Leyland (I'll go wash my mouth
out with soap now) roll bar that PO had had chromed.  I loved
that car, and kick myself every time I think about having sold
it to buy a (gasp) 71 Corvette roadster.  Now THAT was a babe-
magnet, but I soon discovered I had nothing in common with the
girls that were attracted to it.  Plus, PO had replaced
standard 3.70 diff gears with 4.11's in order to shave time
off the quarter, which isn't what a Corvette was ever
designed for in the first place, and the dam' thing just
howled at freeway speeds (turned about 3500 rpm, if I recall).
Drove from Seattle to San Diego and back one summer and
almost went crazy.

Personally, I think that in terms of shape, the early TR-6 is
one of the most beautiful cars ever built, especially in dark
colors, and I'm going to have one again some day.  This doesn't
mean I don't like MG's, but the only thing about B's is that
they used to be bellybutton cars -- everybody had one.  Not so
much like that any more, but they're a lot more common than
TR-6s, and I don't like seeing myself coming the opposite
direction (see appended list).

Just opinion, and it doesn't mean I'd turn down a good MGC
or MGC-GT if I ever ran across one.  I really have to do
something about this need of mine to adopt & care for
orphans!

Have a good new year

Mark Moburg
markmoburg@mindspring.com