Re: 140 mph MG

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: 140 mph MG
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 23:14:26 -0500
Syl's Sydney Homestay wrote:

> 140 mph - that's what the MG F will do with some minor modifications which
> include a modified exhaust, different camshafts and an additional
> Electronic Control Module.
>
> Combine this with acceleration 0 to 60 mph in 5 seconds and you've got a
> pretty potent car don't you reckon?
>
> Paul

Don't get me started....I think that Rover's decision not to export the MGF to
the US
stinks.  Roche Bentley, Secretary of the MGOC wrote that Rover won't export to
the US
because of a lack of "proper dealer infrastructure".  I believe the *real*
reason is
that BMW, Rover's owner, is afraid that the MGF will overshadow the Z3, on
which BMW has
much invested (it's really a dog of a car anyway).  This is remeniscent of what
BMC did
in the 60's when it refused to export an MGB w/OD to the US - it was afraid
that it
would hurt Austin Healey sales.  Either way, I get tired of reading about how
great the
MGF is when I know that Rover has no plans to export until the year 2003.  (I
did get
a chance to drive one in York in '95.  It was better'n sex)

Michael Ohleger