FW: MGB spigot bushing size question, bearings, and ?

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: MGB spigot bushing size question, bearings, and ?
From: George Merryweather <merryweather@venus.connectware.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:01:49 -0600

----------
From:   Merryweather, George
Sent:   Thursday, January 09, 1997 2:44 PM
To:     'Jeremy DuBois'
Subject:        RE: MGB spigot bushing size question, bearings, and ?

MG vs Triumph?

Moss vs VB?

Moss, both US and Europe, and usually Europe has better technical =
answers, says the 1-1/2 is the later one, but I still think, that in =
this case, bigger is better.  The bushing is designed to carry a load, =
(or maybe to prevent an unequal one), and if you change loads when you =
change gears, which you do, (should you ever forget to put in the =
bushing, you get a real ugly rattle on up and down shifting), then you =
would be changing loads more often with a full synchro, rather than the =
3 synchro, so the longer bush would help compensate for the more =
frequent shifting, which would allow the bush to wear out less speedily. =
 Wow!  That made sense coming out of the keyboard, but I'm not sure =
about what it will be like reading it, so I won't.

OOOOHHHHH!  A brand new Tan over white XJ8 just pulled in the parking =
lot, driven by a very attractive blonde lady.  I hope she won't be =
offended if I go look at her car and ignore her.  Nice Car!

So to wrap this up quickly, bearings...I will oversimplify this greatly, =
so as not to exceed my limited expertise.  How's that for a disclaimer!

There are basically two types of bearings.  For this application, =
anyhow.  Steel backed with a hard alloy on the front, or steel with 2  =
layers on the front, commonly called, tri-metal.  I think that Vandervel =
calls it VP2 (?).  The first mentioned bearing is hard,  and you can not =
scratch it with a fingernail.  These are used for higher load engines, =
i.e. racecars or maybe Barney's.  The second has a very soft top layer.  =
(Now back to some basic engine theory....if the engine has been =
assembled properly, and the right oil is flowing to the right places, =
and there is no unusual stress on the engine, then the oil acts as a =
lubricant between the bearing and the crank, and there is no actual =
metal to metal contact.  Add stress, bad shifts, high rpm, heat, dirty =
oil, etc., and you will either contaminate the lubricant and/or cause =
metal to metal contact)  (Top fuel dragsters can actually measure the =
side to side expansion of a bearing after a run.   Using a technical =
term, it gets 'squished')  OK, so hard bearings are OK, but the added =
feature of the softer ones I believe is called 'embeddability'.  Sorry =
for my spelling.  What this does is allow minutes contaminants to get =
embedded in to the surface of the bearing, rather than actually wearing =
against the entire surface.  Once it is embedded, it is covered with =
oil, and away from the surface of the crank.  A harder bearing allows =
the contaminant to run its course over the surface of the crank/bearing. =
 A soft bearing is fine for most LBC applications.  Let's exclude Barney =
and his 9,000 rpm MGA  (Keep smiling, B!).  A lot a shops, and owners, =
prefer the softer, tri-metal bearing.

So your problem....you scratched a soft bearing.  Take a CLEAN red shop =
rag.  CLEAN, no dirt, or metal shavings from the previous shop if you =
get your rags from a service, CLEAN, a new one is good, and carefully =
buff the bearing with it.  The red rags are typically coarse in texture =
so provide a soft abrasive effect.  You may have gone too deep with your =
nail to buff it out, but give it a try.  If the bearing begins to =
discolor, or is it 'discolour', then you have gone too far, and it's =
time to get a new one.  Some may say, leave it allow, I say replace it.  =
But try the red rag approach first, it's a lot cheaper.

Sorry for the long reply but the Jag left too quickly!

George Merryweather
merryweather@connectware.com